Aims of the Guild
The aims of the Berkshire Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers are:
• To encourage and maintain integrity and excellence of craftsmanship.
• To foster a sense of beauty of texture, colour and design.
• To provide opportunities for the exchange of information, and for demonstration and lectures.
We are also affiliated to the Association of Guilds of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers (AGSWD) who were founded as a registered charity in 1955 and act as an umbrella organisation to support regional Guilds such as ours.
More information about the Association can be found on their website www.wsd.org.uk
What do we do
As well as our regular monthly Saturday Guild meetings and alternate weekly Spinning and Weaving group get togethers we:
• Hold challenges and annual competitions, based on a particular theme or topic, where at least one of the core skills must be used.
• Hold bi-annual exhibitions and informal monthly "show and tells" where members are encouraged to show their work.
• Have an extensive library of craft related books and a range of Spinning and Weaving equipment for members to borrow or hire at very reasonable costs.
• Publish a newsletter for members four times a year to share information and knowledge.
There are also opportunities for members to help with demonstrations at local events promoting and educating members of the public about our crafts.
Membership of the Guild
There are no entry standards to becoming a member, other than an interest in learning about our crafts, and we would love to welcome you at one of our meetings.
The first two meetings are free after which we would ask that you become a member and join the Guild.
Cost of membership is currently £20.00 per annum (or pro-rata if joining mid way through the year), £5.00 per Guild meeting and £3.00 per weekly session.
Membership forms can be obtained at one of our Guild meetings or by contacting us here .